Monday, July 25, 2011

Root Beer Float Cupcakes

Repeatedly dragging a sweater across my face this afternoon. I realized that there is nothing as absorbing to me as certain physical sensations of my own supply. And that I am almost constantly catering to this aspect of my Id.

Sounds harmless, but tonight i wonder if it might very well be barring me from further exploring the "art of conversation" - as a part of my attention is allegiant to something that I am experiencing alone, and is not only personally distracting, but pointless to discuss.

I plan on experiencing with intentional elimination of this behavior in public. Maybe, suddenly, I will have smart things to say.

What this post should have been about, actually, is Root Beer Float Cupcakes. I did it again - but with such perfection that it deserved its own post.




Root Beer Float Cupcakes
1 cup Root Beer soda ( I used Dad's Old Fashioned)
1 teaspoon vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoon root beer extract
1 1/3 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt

Combine soda and vinegar, and set aside for at least two minutes.
Add the sugar and oil, whisking vigorously.
Add extracts and mix well.
Be sure to sift the dry ingredients before GENTLY introducing to the soda/vinegar mixture.

Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full and bake at 350 for about 20-21 minutes.

Vanilla Ice Cream Frosting
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup vanilla ice cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar

Beat the butter, ice cream and vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar.

I didn't have the tools for this, but cutting up red and white striped straws to top the cupcakes would probably be very cute. Just sayin'.