Wednesday, July 27, 2011

"Cheese" Crackers

I have been plagued with the Change Creeps for about a week, maybe longer. A sudden wave of weak nausea, a feeling that I can only compare to being freshly insulted.

These mysterious Creeps, which I have only recently connected with divergence in my little life's shuffle (currently, being my new job), have been with me as long as I can remember.

Expressing the Creeps to my grandfather as a young girl, was met with the explanation that this was obviously the Holy Ghost telling me that something was wrong, bad and to turn the other way.

I've since decided to believe that these Creeps are my intuition, a mounting amalgamation of the subconscious cues I've collected over a course of time. Still, does that mean these Creeps may indicate something wrong, bad and to turn the other way?

Taking into account, myself, the answer I suppose is: no. I can't say I'm comfortable believing my subconscious is more acute than waking reason, though I'm not perfectly comfortable discounting that either.

For example, when I wanted to stop walking yesterday, but had to continue - I just imagined somebody from behind holding my hips firmly with straight hands, slightly pushing, slightly swaying them.

It is both fortifying and dubiously self-realizing to believe that there is something inside that leads you.

Anyway, today was ridiculously relaxing and fulfilling. I baked cupcakes, I swam with two loves of my life, we watched Angus (which has the most reminiscent soundtrack ever), and when my brother came by for some good company, I made crackers.



I couldn't find any other "tiny" cookie cutter so the Snowman had to do. It goes along with the Winter holiday theme that still rests on our walls and ceiling.


"Cheese" Crackers
1 1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons water, plus 1-2 tablespoon more only if needed


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Combine the flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and sea salt in a medium sized bowl. Add the olive oil and the 4 tbsp of lukewarm water and mix well. Once mixed, if there is flour remaining in the bottom add another tbsp and mix well again. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead a couple times. Then cut the dough in half.


Flour the dough and your surface well and roll out to 1/8″ thick and cut into whatever shapes you like or just trim the edges and cut into squares. Move to parchment lined baking sheet and before placing the sheet in the oven, sprinkle the cayenne pepper over the doughy cut-outs. Bake crackers for 18-20 minutes. Once finished, remove from the oven and cool on the sheet until completely cooled before storing in an airtight container.


They really taste like goldfish crackers. I recommend using whole wheat flour. I know I will next time.