Saturday, March 5, 2011

Red Velvet Pancakes With Vanilla Butter Cream Icing

I have been thinking fantasizing about chocolate all night. All night. I made the decision to test out my Red Velvet Pancake recipe as soon as I clocked out of work.





You know, one great thing (of many) about pancakes is that even the messy parts are delicious. The batter is addicting!




My recipe survived my pessimism and made me one happy little Norma.




Red Velvet Pancakes
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
2 cups red velvet cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Red Velvet)
2 large eggs, beaten well
2 tablespoon oil
1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon milk
3 tablespoon butter

Combine the cake mix, eggs, oil and water in a mixing bowl until just thoroughly blended (don’t overmix or it will get airy and will not cook. Trust me. I ruined several pancakes). If batter seems too thick, add another tablespoon of milk. Cook the pancakes in a non-stick pan over low/medium heat. You want to cook these a little slower than regular pancakes because you don’t want them to brown too much.

Vanilla Butter Cream Icing
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup whole milk + 1 teaspoon whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream the butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, salt, milk, and vanilla and mix until smooth and creamy. Add the remaining teaspoon of milk for a more manageable syrup-like texture. I didn't do this and the icing came out real thick and more like a dollop of butter, but it was still very spreadable and scrumptious.

I'm thinking next time I will have white chocolate shavings or melted white chocolate drizzle. Did you know that I am a huge white chocolate fan? I am.