Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Red Velvet Cookies With Cream Cheese Frosting

I was just sitting here thinking that life has reached a height of unapproachable absurdity- then some ghost with great comedic timing knocked my cup of yogurt off the table.
I wiped half of it up with a receipt, the other with a snack wrapper.
'I suppose it is time to be productive,' I thought/said aloud to myself. I had a box of red velvet cake mix, and some of that good ol' fashion appetite so I mixed up a few ingredients for a cookie dough like texture.

Finding extra cake mix in your pantry is pretty damn close to winning the lottery. There's just so much you can do with it. Maybe next time I will make a cake batter smoothie. What are your thoughts?

The cookies came out in funky shapes, due to an unprecedented expansion and very little room on the cookie sheet. I suppose I had thought about that happening but I'm not baking for a grade, or a televised show, or any sort of judgement. I'm just trying to feed my appetite and your jealousy.

Red Velvet Cookies

1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix

2 eggs

1/3 cup oil


Mix all ingredients together. This will make a very greasy cookie dough. Roll into balls and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Flatten down slightly (depending on the thickness you desire). Bake at 375° until the tops crackle (about 10-12 minutes). 10 minutes will bake them fully, and they will still be soft on the inside. At least that's how it worked in my oven.


Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8oz package cream cheese -- softened

1/4 cup margarine or butter -- softened
2 teaspoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup granulated sugar

Beat ingredients in a food processor or with an electric mixer (OF WHICH I DO NOT OWN) and let it sit in the fridge while the cookies bake and cool. The frosting doesn't stiffen very much but it is thick enough to stay on the cookies and eat and enjoy. I've already eaten three and it worked out pretty well.