Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Most Delicious Failure.



I'm not really sure how this became more of a food blog than anything else, but I love food so I really don't mind. I've also rediscovered my camera and I cook nearly everyday (or I at least attempt to); why not share it with all of you?

Today's fiasco involved peanut butter. Lots and lots of peanut butter. It started raining around 2am last night and by the time I got home from work, I was so worked up and excited that I thought I'd try to make some peanut butter fudge.



I melted together sugar, peanut butter and soy milk (for the vegan of the household) and stirred constantly over medium heat, boiling it through and through for a hard candy consistency. Once I got that down, I removed the pot from the heat and added vanilla and butter until it became pretty darn firm. I poured it into a buttered casserole dish and let it sit while I finally fell asleep.

This is what happened:



!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT! It isn't supposed to do that when I try to slice it into beautiful little cubes, right? RIGHT? Ugh. What a failure.

I'm going to melt it down and probably use it for icing. Maybe on scones? I'll figure it out. I'm not one to waste food. I will Tupperware every last drop of that peanut butter mess.

In all fairness to the peanut-buttery disaster, I replaced confectioner's sugar with regular sugar and flour. That might work for some recipes, but not for fudge. Remember that. Don't make my mistake.

Let's lighten up the mood though; I made a Tortellini soup! Yum!



Watching evaporated milk incorporate itself into a pot of water is like a dance. A cloudy, swirly dance that I want to eat.

I added parsley, sun dried tomatoes, and dried carrot bits.



And of course, the tortellini.



It made up for the peanut butter fiasco and went really well with the rain outside.

I should have slept because I work tonight. Another 11-730a shift. I often wonder if my exhaustion is more or less a sign of creativity in the kitchen, or a lack of sleep. And then I see food and I don't care anymore!


Tortellini Soup:

5 cups water
1 can evaporated milk
1 bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 cup dried carrots
1 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
2 cups uncooked tortellini
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons ice cold water
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.

Mix the water, evaporated milk, parsley, tomatoes, carrots, and spices into a large pot and bring to a soft boil. Add tortellini and cover for about 20 minutes over medium low heat. Bring heat up to medium high. Dissolve cornstarch in ice cold water and pour the mixture into boiling, bubbling soup and stir it constantly to thicken it. Remove from heat and place the lid back on for about 5 minutes.

Top it with Parmesan cheese in your favorite soup bowl and enjoy it.