Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lemon Poppyseed Scones

I've been in a bit of a mental funk lately. A lot of relationships are running through my mind. Romantic, Platonic, Fantasy, Futuristic... futuristic...

I want everybody to be okay. I want to help and I know that I can but I can't seem to tell who is being honest and who is just complaining to complain. Attention hogs! I can't stand it! Real problems exist. Don't wast my time with your cry baby antics!

After watching 'Martyrs' last night with Ben, I started thinking about how much I miss the people in my life. I see them pretty often, I know that, but I miss them.

Just before starting up another movie, my older brother sent me a text saying that he missed me. Holy What-the! We're so alike and so different and it's such a great combination for our relationship. I told him I'd make him a treat and bring it in to his work.

So today I made Lemon Poppyseed Scones.


I love grating lemons. It mists and sprays all over my hands and I always consider never washing them again. Oh, but then I have that "Kitchen Lemon" hand soap, so don't you worry.


My brother works at Lucky's Tattoo Parlor in Downtown, SD. Very conveniently located down the street from my house. I'll be leaving just after posting this entry, actually.


Lemon Poppyseed Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold butter or margerine
1/2 cup sour milk (1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a 1/2 measuring cup, fill the rest of the cup with milk or soy milk)
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon peel
1 1/2 tablespoons poppyseeds
Additional flour for kneading.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add sour milk, poppyseeds and peel, folding until everything moist. Turn onto a floured surface, knead gently.

Shape into a ball.

On a greased baking sheet, pat dough into a circle about 1 1/2 inch thick and 8 1/2 inches in diameter. Using a sharp knife, cute wedges into the dough, being careful not to cut all the way through. Sprinkle with sugar and any leftover peel. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes.