Friday, February 25, 2011

Lavender Cookies With Lemon Icing

I've been pretty busy this last week. The huge dent in my sleeping schedule has worsened and my little bag of lavender tea was calling to me. A little bit of natural, boiled and sweetened relaxation never hurt anybody. But then I started thinking with my appetite and I put together a couple of recipes for my lavender.


I didn't want to make a super concentrated tea, so I put 1 cup of granulated sugar with 1 teaspoon of lavender in the food processor and let the blades do the rest. Now I have a pretty decent amount of lavender sugar. :)


Replacing regular sugar with flavored sugar in a cookie recipe is such a brilliant idea. I may not have been the first to think of it, but I sure felt like a genius after eating the cookies.


I had a cute cookie cutter that I bought from World Market a few years ago. I actually hadn't used it until recently.


Lavender Cookies
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh lavender
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the lavender, vanilla and lemon zest. Combine the flour, cornstarch and salt; mix into the batter until well blended. Wrap in plastic wrap and flatten to about 1inch thick. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Cookie stamps will work well on these too. Place on cookie sheets.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, just until cookies begin to brown at the edges. Let them cool completely before icing them.

Lemon Icing
11/2 cup confectioner's sugar
11/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)

Mix together. Add sifted flour (by the teaspoon) if you want it to be thicker.





Oh... I also made a lavender lemonade. But with this one, I made a concentrated lavender tea and mixed it with the juice of three lemons. I lucked out with the lemons though, they were extremely juicy.






It turned into quite a delicious, relaxing day.