Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Glazed Sweet Potato Muffins

Hi!

I am in abdominal hell and wanted to keep my mind off of the pain, so I made muffins!


Here's the story of the sweet potatoes:

A few weeks ago, a woman all dressed in her military wardrobe came to the front door and asked if we wanted some food. I didn't really know how to respond so the silence lasted a bit longer than I would have liked. She let me know that she and her boyfriend were shipping out and had all sorts of food that they didn't want to throw out and didn't have time to drive anywhere to drop it off. So she wanted us to just have it. There were canned goods, frozen goods, all packaged and sealed and good to go. Along with the packages, came a bag of sweet potatoes which I used tonight to make some yummy muffins.


We also don't have a muffin pan so I used a recycled casserole dish and stuffed the liners with the filling.


They didn't come out perfectly round but I'm not entering any sort of contest here. The only judges are Dickie and myself.


They're very delicious. I've already eaten four of them.



Sweet Potato Muffins
(makes 12 muffins)
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2/3 cup mashed sweet potatoes or sweet potato puree
1/2 cup milk*
2 eggs*

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Add sugar, milk and egg. Stir in sweet potato. Combine until smooth.
Fill muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

*If you are making this vegan and using egg replacer (1T vegetable oil + 2T water + 2t baking powder = 1 egg), I recommend using 1/3 cup of soy milk, to add moisture.

Ginger Glaze
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, sifted

Mix ingredients together until completely smooth. Drizzle over muffins with a small spoon. It will harden, trust me.


I ended up adding a few teaspoons more of brown sugar, just to sweeten them up a bit. And if I had candied ginger bits, I would have sprinkled those atop. You should do that! I will next time.