Saturday, February 12, 2011

Cake Batter Pancakes



Dylan was here for breakfast this morning, so I thought I'd try something a little bit different.

I bought a box of cake mix a while ago and figured that if you mix it with a little bit of pancake mix, an egg, and some milk, you could make cake batter pancakes. CAKE FOR BREAKFAST?! Yes. Please. Lead the way!


Dylan's favorite color is orange, so I thought of maybe making some orange icing to pour over her sprinkle filled cake batter pancakes. It took me a while to make it the right shade of orange though. It also took me a while to find my box of food dye. (It was in my candy drawer...)




Dylan also wanted to help so she mixed the ingredients with a tiny whisk, and added sprinkles. She also took the sprinkles with her as a pre-breakfast meal.









BREAKFAST IS SERVED!






Cake Batter Pancakes:
1 1/2 cup (any) pancake mix
2/3 cup of (any) cake mix
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 egg (or egg substitute)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1-2 cups of milk (I used evaporated milk)
Vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt

Combine pancake mix, cake mix, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix. Add 1 cup of milk, egg and vanilla extract and stir until smooth. You want the batter to look like regular pancake batter; not too thin, not too thick. Start with 1 cup of milk and add more if needed. I suggest a small taste test as well to see if the pancakes are flavored enough. I sure did a few "small" taste tests.

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
assorted sprinkles

Mix milk, extract and powdered sugar until glaze forms. You may need to add a little more sugar or water/milk to reach desired consistency. Mix into glaze and drizzle on pancakes. Let the person eating sprinkle the sprinkles. They like that.