Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cake Batter Chocolate Slivers



I made bark.



The idea of "bark" has always been funny to me. Melt some chocolate and flatten it out into slivers as thick as you want with layers of other chocolates, fruits, nuts, sprinkles, chips... etc... it's essentially a chocolate bar but "bark" just sounds... more unique I suppose.


I had some left over cake mix from the Cake Batter Pancakes and all of my favorite chocolate bars were on sale, so I went ahead and added heat to said ingredients. I also added sprinkles.



I saw a recipe for bark and sprinkles and cake batter and chocolate just sound so delicious together. I have never been more thrilled to share anything with anyone as much as I am right now.




I tried it once before but I added too much cake batter and it was just a mess. The mixture turned into ... what seemed like clay. Indian clay. On it's 5th stage of hardening. Terrible. And inedible!





Cake Batter Chocolate Slivers
12 oz high quality white chocolate
6 oz high quality dark chocolate
3 teaspoons of cake mix (I used the leftover Funfetti but I'm switching to yellow cake mix)
2 tablespoons of rainbow sprinkles (additional... as desired)

Melt the dark chocolate (you can melt it in the microwave, no need to be fancy here) and spread onto waxed baking sheet. Spread it to your desired thickness. You don't have to fill the entire sheet with it, and the chances of it spreading on it's own aren't very high. You're in the clear!

Pop it in the freezer (the flattest surface possible) for about 30 minutes.

Melt the white chocolate and add the cake mix, sprinkled teaspoon at a time. I recommend sifting it to rid of the lumps. Whisk as fast as you can until it appears smooth.

Take out the dark chocolate and immediately pour the white chocolate over it (try to cover the dark chocolate while pouring it so that you don't have to spread it with a spatula (because it will start to marble - unless you want that effect!) and sprinkle with sprinkles before popping it back in the freezer for another 30 minutes.

Remove from freezer and check for firmness before breaking it apart. Keep refrigerated!