Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Brussels Sprout Salad

It's Tuesday, which doesn't mean anything other than Dan was invited over for dinner. I spent a good few hours searching my brain for dinner ideas and while Dickie mentioned that he would make his Chicken Pasta, I decided I would make some sort of small side salad to go along with it. OH, BUT WHAT?!

The crisper drawer in the refrigerator suggested using brussels sprouts, lime, tri-colored bell peppers. Inanimate objects can be so helpful!

I grabbed all the ingredients and set them up,


finely chopped the red, yellow and orange bell peppers, brussels sprouts, green onions, and garlic,



and set them aside while I melted butter in a large pan over medium-heat.



I poured everything into the pan, added salt, black pepper and white pepper and mixed it together.
I always have to be careful with the amounts of butter and salt that I put into my food because I always end up using too much. If you are anything like me, use measuring spoons!


If you like the buttery/salt taste, than you don't have to add lime juice, but you might regret it because limes are delicious.

... Just trust me; you'll want to add lime juice.


Brussels Sprout Salad
1 lb. of brussels sprouts, shredded
1/2 red, yellow and orange bell peppers, diced
3 green onions, sliced
21/2 - 3 cloves of garlic
4 Tablespoons of butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper

I could have used a food processor to chop the brussels sprouts but I wanted to take my time with it. Make sure everything is much smaller than bite-size. Almost as if you shredded everything. Melt the butter in a large pan and add the garlic first. Let it saute for a few minutes and then add everything else. Stir it evenly and add the salt, black and white pepper, and place the lid on the pan for about 6 minutes. Turn off heat but leave the lid on to consume the steam.

While the burner is cooling off, start cutting your limes in half. Transfer the salad to a large mixing bowl and squeeze the limes into the salad, tossing the salad (that's what she said) in between each lime.

Plate and eat!

We did and are now watching Star Trek.